Montville Animal Hospital

6 Whitehall Rd.
Towaco, NJ 07082



Travel Certificates


Our veterinarians are able to provide you with travel certificates and any vaccine requirements or treatments needed prior to travel. Dr. Kara Schubert is also USDA accredited for your international travel certificate needs. 

Please visit  USDA – Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service to start researching your international destination requirements for your pet(s).

Please call to speak with a veterinary staff member directly to determine how we can best be of service. Please note that we are accredited to complete the examinations and testing required for travel but the pet parent is responsible for contacting the airline for domestic travel or USDA for international travel to determine what is needed and when. Some international travel requirements begin 6 months prior to the departure date so please plan accordingly. Forms must be printed and brought into the office for a physical signature.

Domestic Travel

Domestic flight certificates are often required when traveling with your pet on a plane. Owners need to call their airline provider in advance to find out what their policies are for animal travel. Often these requirements include the following:

  • Veterinarian Exam By A Licensed Veterinarian (typically within 10 days of departure but may vary depending on airline)
  • Required Vaccines Up To Date
  • Any Additional Diagnostic Testing
  • Size Of Pet, Age, Sex and Weight
  • Size and Weight Of Crate
  • A domestic health certificate is only valid for 30 days. If your return date exceeds the 30 day health certificate limit, you will need to purchase a second health certificate from another veterinarian before you can travel by plane again.

International Health Certificates

Pet owners flying out of the country need to plan far in advance to meet certain international requirements - often 6 months ahead of time! Each country has different requirements that need be completed in a certain time frame in order for your pet to travel out of the country. Most international health certificate requirements include:

  • Diagnostic tests and procedures to be done six or more months in advance.
  • Rabies Titer completed 30 days (minimum) after rabies vaccine was given
  • Flea and Heartworm Prevention and deworming treatment
  • Some countries also require that the certificate should be translated into the language of that country